Friday 22 April 2011

the art (or not) of self portrait

Hello!

Can you see me down there (or up there), reflected in the lake? What fun!

It's been ever such a sunny day here, and we've been ambling for several hours down a dapped wooded valley.

Absolutely ideal for experimenting with a spot of self-portrait-ing, which is this week's art of living cheerfully task.

As it turns out, it's more difficult than you'd think to take photos of yourself.

I've finally discovered the timer function on my camera, and now have 10 seconds to position myself in an elegant and artful pose before the lights flash.

Haven't quite mastered it yet though, and plenty of them end up like this...

... or, even better, like this...

(nice socks though)

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's best to interpret 'self portrait' to include pictures of *part* of yourself.

And that it's a whole lot easier to take photos of your shadow.

What's even easier than that, of course, is to get someone else to take photos of you.

I know, I know, that doesn't count as 'self portrait', but really, after seeing just how cheerful these pictures were, with my pretending-to-be-a-relaxed-otter pose, I think I might just leave it to the professionals (or at least people other than myself).

I'm absolutely tickled pink with these pictures of me floating in a lake.

(I wasn't actually floating, of course, but standing on the edge being reflected in the water, before you start worrying about my sanity)

I'm exhausted after all that posing!

Good job there's another three days off work really...

4 comments:

  1. This made me giggle! What a lovely thing to try! X
    And what fine skirts you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always neat to take a variety of different perspectives when looking at ourselves. This is a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather! :) It is indeed fun to try different perspectives, and there was me thinking I had to wait for the perfect elegant one!

    Thanks Fay :) I do love that green skirt - what a fab colour! Goes nicely with the murky lake water I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fun, and great results.

    ReplyDelete