Friday 12 February 2010

Handmade presents: the ribbon blanket


I made this for my youngest nephew.

It started when I found a piece of pale blue lambswool for 50p in a charity shop. I must confess I fell for the label really, rather than the cloth...


I mean, how could I resist? So home it came, and it sat and sat for a while because I couldn't bear to cut it up.

Eventually, I'd made all my other Christmas presents, and still didn't have anything planned for this one. It was time to cut into the lambswool.

After a bit of pondering, I decided to make a small blanket, with ribbons sewn into the edges. I can't remember where I first saw this, but I've seen it a few times since.

So - it's red fleece on one side, and blue lambswool on the other side, with three different colours of ribbon sewn into the seams. To keep the two sides together, I machine stitched several lines across the middle.

It was actually one of the simplest and quickest of the presents I made, and I think it might actually have turned out to be my favourite! Certainly something I'll do again - must keep my eye out for some more lambswool...

I've just got one more handmade Christmas present to post, and then I'll be stopping for a while. That isn't quite all of them, but it is February, after all, and I'm feeling the need to move on! Not far, mind you - I've been laid up with a bit of a stomach bug this week, so it's been sofas and blankets all round. But there's plans afoot for some making and some gardening at the weekend, and a gorgeous little library book I'm going to have to try a recipe or two out of, and a few other things in the pipeline too!

No comments:

Post a Comment