Saturday 13 February 2010

Handmade presents: the peppermint bark



Would you look at that? Peppermint bark, that's what it is. Well, for people who really know peppermint bark, it probably wouldn't pass as anything of the sort, but for those of us who hadn't heard of such an outlandish thing until a few weeks ago, and felt compelled to try some, this looks the part, and nobody will know any different.

I read about it here, and it just looked so irresistible laid out in those jars, that I just couldn't help myself. And then I dutifully followed the link over to here, and lost an hour or two reading through all those lovely recipes. Oops.

I simplified the recipe a bit. Ok, quite a lot. This is just some melted milk chocolate, spread on a tray, sprinkled with crushed peppermint candy canes. And the middle layer is just milk chocolate, melted with a bit of double cream. Then white chocolate spread on the top, with more candy canes. Oh, so simple. I didn't add peppermint essence to the middle layer - partly because, a bit of a strange confession this one, but I don't actually like peppermint, and even though these weren't for me, I just couldn't bring myself to.

And do you know what? It was ever so nice! And doesn't it just look so festive and colourful? It's making me happy just looking at it now. Hard on the top and the bottom, soft in the middle, crunchy candy canes, stripey, chocolatey, how much more can you want from a sweet??


No comments:

Post a Comment