I made a skirt! I'm so impressed with myself :)
I used the instructions from the Crafts magazine I bought last week for 10p. I had planned to make it full length, but there just wasn't enough material in the quilt cover.
Rather frustratingly, the instructions for the waistband, zip and hem are in the next issue, which wasn't in the charity shop when I went back. I had to turn instead to the "Good Housekeeping step-by-step encyclopaedia of Needlecraft", which is fortunately very thorough and easy to understand.
I made a stiffened waistband, and finally discovered what bias binding is, and used it to hem the skirt.
Here's the final thing - it looks better on, but I couldn't get a decent photo.
It's a full circle, so it swishes out nicely, and it'll be great for dancing and prancing around in :)
It only took a few hours, although I did rather rush the hem as we were going to a friend's house for tea. I'll try again soon with a full length one, and I might try a tie waist instead of a stiffened waistband. I'm glad I know how to do it now though. A colourful, unique skirt, made from a second hand quilt cover bought for £3 - a veritable bargain.