Monday 8 June 2009

A soggy weekend




It was a busy weekend, involving a festival in a local park, an attempt (failed) at fixing my bike, and a fair amount of writing, which seemed to involve lots of post it notes, and not a lot of writing at all. 

After a long day at work today, I finally got round to cutting some of the chive flowers out of the garden. I have a book of edible flowers, and it recommends using chive flowers in scrambled eggs, saying they taste rather oniony, and are quite crunchy. We didn't have any eggs though... 


I ended up freezing them. I can't remember where I read about this method of preserving herbs - packing them into ice cube trays, topping with water, then decanting into bags when they've frozen. I can't think why I haven't got round to it until now. I think herbs are the only thing that's fairly guaranteed to be productive in this tiny garden, so it makes sense to preserve them when I can. Wherever I read about this, it said to just throw a couple in when you're cooking and let them melt - it's apparently as good as using them fresh from the garden. We'll see. 

Another busy week this week, I'm counting the weeks until this is all over (16!). I'm hatching a plan to give myself a bit more time over the next few weeks, but we'll see whether anything comes of it... 

2 comments:

  1. this is such a lovely and inspiring blog! I freeze my herbs, but generally put them in a bag as they are, then just snap off what I need. The icecube idea is a good one, my much easier to handle I suspect. And yes, frozen are every bit as good as fresh.
    I really love the little jacket thing you made, what a talented creative person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue! Hello! Had to go and look you up to see how who were... :) But your blog doesn't seem to have anything on it at all, are you just starting out? Looking forward to keeping an eye on you ;)

    I love the jacket thing too, in fact I'm wearing it right now, and in the process of making a red one! :)

    ReplyDelete