Saturday 6 February 2010

Handmade presents: the furry ears


I wondered and wondered what to make for my second nephew, who's two, and likes investigating things, turning things upside down, seeing what happens when you put something where it might not normally go and generally, well, being two.

In the end, two things combined - a conversation with my mother, and a memory of a pair of furry ears I'd made for myself a few years ago for a party.

Oh, I loved those ears! They were the same colour as my hair, so you almost didn't notice them at first, but they made me feel furry and animal-like and cute. They were good fun.

So, I thought it was about time I made another pair. They're just long furry fabric, two squares, folded and sewn into triangles, with small pieces of elastic sewn into one seam to hold them on a child's headband. And they make me laugh every time I look at them.

I made a tail too, and filled it with dried peas, although in retrospect it could perhaps have been a little lighter...

And, just as I'd hoped, it's already being borrowed by big brother, who's going to wear it to a fancy dress day at school next week. Hooray for presents being used by as many people as possible, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment